The Wartime Conferences
Setting The Stage For A New World
- Before the war Roosevelt and
Churchill met in secret on a ship in the Atlantic.
- Signed the Atlantic Charter
stating the goals of the war:
-no territorial changes without
permission of inhabitants.
-cooperation to improve other
-disarming of aggressor
- The Atlantic Charter was
eventually signed by 15 countries including the Soviet Union and
became the basis of the United Nations.
- Roosevelt, Churchill and Chiang
Kai-shek agreed that Korea would become independent.
- Taiwan would be returned to China
- Roosevelt and Churchill assure
Stalin a second front would be opened soon.
- Try German and Japanese leaders
as war criminals.
- Agreed to set up the United
- Soviet Union agrees to enter the
war after Germany is defeated.
- Roosevelt and Churchill agree to
accept a Communist Polish government and Stalin agrees to “free
and unfettered” elections in Eastern Europe.
- Stalin, Churchill and Truman meet
to discuss post war plans.
- Germany divided into 4
- Stalin makes it clear he has no
intention of allowing free elections in Eastern Europe.
Back To Previous Lesson – To What
Extent Was The End of WWII A Reaction to the Past