How do JFK and LBJ compare as Presidents?
The 1960’s where a very turbulent period. America needed leaders
who could react to enormous public pressure and meet the challenges
of a nation moving towards a new modern era. Presidents Kennedy and
Johnson had to deal with civil rights issues, the cold war, the
Vietnam and the social upheaval of the turbulent sixties. Kennedy has
a wonderful reputation, but was he really the better President?
What types of issues did Kennedy and Johnson have to deal
1. Cold War
2. Civil Rights protests, riots
4. Social upheaval – drug culture, rebellion, rock and
Kennedy – The New Freedom
Johnson – The Great Society
1. Peace Corps
2. Space Program
3. Housing Act of 1961
4. Passage of the 24th amendment
5. Stewardship through the cold war (Berlion Aqirlift,
6. Great public persona and charisma, great control of
7. Bay of Pigs
8. No real Civil Rights laws passed.
1. Civil Rights Act of 1964
2. The War on Poverty
3. 1965 Voting Rights Act